Review ~ Biggest Flirts by Jennifer Echols


Biggest Flirts (Superlatives, #1)
by Jennifer Echols

Publishing date:
May 20th 2014
Publisher: Simon Pulse
336 pages

The Book Depository | Amazon

Tia and Will’s lives get flipped upside down when they’re voted Yearbook’s Biggest Flirts in this sassy novel from the author of Endless Summer and The One That I Want.

Tia just wants to have fun. She’s worked hard to earn her reputation as the life of the party, and she’s ready for a carefree senior year of hanging out with friends and hooking up with cute boys. And her first order of business? New guy Will. She can’t get enough of his Midwestern accent and laidback swagger.

As the sparks start to fly, Will wants to get serious. Tia’s seen how caring too much has left her sisters heartbroken, and she isn’t interested in commitment. But pushing Will away drives him into the arms of another girl. Tia tells herself it’s no big deal…until the yearbook elections are announced. Getting voted Biggest Flirts with Will is, well, awkward. They may just be friends, but their chemistry is beginning to jeopardize Will’s new relationship—and causing Tia to reconsider her true feelings. What started as a lighthearted fling is about to get very complicated…

I have heard many great things about Jennifer Echol's books and I finally decided to read one of them! I choose Biggest Flirts. Not so wise idea. To say I didn't like it would be a little to harsh, but I didn't love it either. I think it is safe to say that there were some things that prevented me of liking this book.

Tia and Will met at a party. Will was the new guy and because of that, perfect for Tia who wanted to hook up with someone. An hour later things were definitely not YA book material. I know that probably some of you will have a problem with this, but I didn't. I actually liked how it started, but my problems with the book, started right after the beginning.

Tia has commitment issues and thus she doesn't want to be together with Will who kind of expected they would start dating after they hooked up. It drags through almost whole book how she doesn't want to date, but you could see the sparks between them flying everywhere. It even came to that that Will started dating another girl, but the flirting between Tia and Will doesn't stop. They actually get the Biggest Flirts superlatives in their yearbook.

As you can see, my biggest problem with this book were the characters. I don't like the whiny oh-what-am-I-going-to-do type of characters, and Tia and Will were both like that. I just wanted to strangle them half of the time, even though they were cute sometimes. Another thing I didn't like was Marching Band, drums and everything related to that. I don't think we have Marching Bands in Croatia, and I'm damn glad for that! Tia and Will were both part of their schools Marching Band and a lot of scenes in Biggest Flirts happened on their practice. I'm sure it's not that boring, but reading about it was incredibly boring. Note to authors, don't write a book that features a Marching Band!

While Biggest Flirts wasn't exactly the right read for me, I am sure that many other people are going to like it. It just wasn't for me. But despite me not liking it, I still want to give a try to some other books by Jennifer Echols and I am sure I'm going to find the one I like, as well, I am probably going to read the next book in the series.


About Unknown

Hi. I'm Anatea, a 23-year-old Croatian girl, living in Germany. I enjoy reading books, traveling, fashion and photography. Let me show you my world.
    Blogger Comment

10 komentari:

  1. \i love Jennifer Echols but mostly her earlier books, after Love story something went south. You should try Going too far, Forget you or Endless summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recs Lea, I'll probably try one of those when I catch some time! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHHH! NO WAY! I was sooo sad, when I got to the end of Just One Year! How frustrating was that? I just spend the last 200 something pages waiting to see what happens, and then that bomb is dropped on me. I HAVE to pick this one up ASAP!


    Lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, right! I was mad for like, whole week! And yes, you do, it's a perfect ending! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I'm staying well away from hers. I started reading Going Too Far before and then left it, not because of the topic, I'd actually praise it. I'm not that bothered when there's an age gap or a younger teacher/ student, but they have to be handled well, you know? I found the bluntness and lack of emotions kind of ruined it. Same as I tried reading Dirty Little Secret and DNF'd it. Looks like hers haven't gotten that much better either. :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really sad to hear that Kirsty, I was kinda hoping that other books were better, but now I'm doubting it. I know we have pretty much the same taste.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't read this fully because of the fact that I haven't read this book and didn't want any spoilers! But the rating seemed pretty good, so maybe this is something to pick up! I also want to read his book If I Stay.

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/08/angeions-book-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I am going to try this book out. I feel like it has a good idea by the way of chick lit goes, but I am not one for whiny characters either...

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/08/angeions-book-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, whiny characters ruin everything. Hopefully the next book will be better. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should read both! If I Stay & Just One Day are really amazing books! x

    ReplyDelete