Review ~ Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. Jensen

Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. Jensen
Stolen Songbird (The Malediction Trilogy, #1) by Danielle L. Jensen

Publishing date:
April 1st 2014
Publisher: Strange Chemistry
469 pages
For those who have loved Seraphina and Graceling comes another truly fabulous fantasy...

For five centuries, a witch’s curse has bound the trolls to their city beneath the ruins of Forsaken Mountain. Time enough for their dark and nefarious magic to fade from human memory and into myth. But a prophesy has been spoken of a union with the power to set the trolls free, and when Cécile de Troyes is kidnapped and taken beneath the mountain, she learns there is far more to the myth of the trolls than she could have imagined.

Cécile has only one thing on her mind after she is brought to Trollus: escape. Only the trolls are clever, fast, and inhumanly strong. She will have to bide her time, wait for the perfect opportunity.

But something unexpected happens while she’s waiting – she begins to fall for the enigmatic troll prince to whom she has been bonded and married. She begins to make friends. And she begins to see that she may be the only hope for the half-bloods – part troll, part human creatures who are slaves to the full-blooded trolls. There is a rebellion brewing. And her prince, Tristan, the future king, is its secret leader.

As Cécile becomes involved in the intricate political games of Trollus, she becomes more than a farmer’s daughter. She becomes a princess, the hope of a people, and a witch with magic powerful enough to change Trollus forever.

When I first saw Stolen Songbird, I didn't give it too much attention. Then I saw a review by my friend Tanja at Ja čitam, a ti? and I thought since she liked it so much, maybe I should request an arc copy on NetGalley since we almost always like the same books and I felt like reading something fantasy. And I did request it. But holy freaking cow! Stolen Songbird is AMAZING! If I knew it sooner, I'd have read it right away!

I don't know about everyone else, but I've never read a book that features trolls, or heard about any for that matter. At least not in the way Stolen Songbird does (we all know about the hideous creatures from Harry Potter). Cecilé is kidnapped and sold to the King of a magical city Trollus where she finds out she is to be bonded (married) to Tristan, the Prince and the future King of Trollus. With her life among the trolls, she has to forget about her past life, but that doesn't stop her from trying to escape. With a new husband and a new lifestyle her life is to be changed unlike she ever imagined possible, but the question is will she like it and welcome it?

I love high fantasy, but I rarely read it. I don't know why is that so, but after reading Stolen Songbird, I realized why do I love it so much. Danielle created a world truly magnificent. Right from the start, I knew I would like it, and as the book progressed, I could only confirm it. Not only was the world building amazing, but I was truly surprised by the depth of this book, political scheming and it's main characters as well as the secondary characters.

Cecilé should be a definition of a YA fantasy heroine. She is not some kick-ass-always-knows-what-to-do, but she posses all the important virtues. She is compassionate, kind to people she doesn't even know, or should I say trolls, and above all, trusting. Tristan on the other hand, at first may come off as incredibly cold, but under all the act, you can see that he is caring, witty and really funny at times. The romance between them takes time to develop, but feels right all the time. There's no insta-romance, and thank god for that, as I was afraid there might be.

I think it is safe to say that Stolen Songbird will make it on my Best of 2014, even though it's only April and I have 8 more months of reading in front of me. So what are you waiting for? Get yourself a copy of this awesome book RIGHT NOW! As for me, what more can I ask for? Except for a sequel maybe? To come out, like, now!?!

About Unknown

Hi. I'm Anatea, a 23-year-old Croatian girl, living in Germany. I enjoy reading books, traveling, fashion and photography. Let me show you my world.
    Blogger Comment

15 komentari:

  1. You have no idea how happy I'm to read this! I loved this one so much and I totally agree with everything you've said. I'm putting our read-along for the sequel on my calendar ;) Great review, Anatea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sequel read-along?? YES PLEASE! Khhm, I'd be up for that! :)

      Delete
  2. Yay I'm glad you liked this. The cover looks amazing and so does the summary! I might pick it up some time this year because I'm looking for a high fantasy series to start

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

      Delete
  3. The troll concept is definitely unique, and I high fantasy is a favorite genre of mine as well! I wasn't going to read this one but all the positive reviews are really making me rethink that, it sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do read it Alice! I know you'll like it, and let me know what you think if you read it!

      Delete
  4. I didn't pay much attention to this one in the past, but your review is definitely making me want to read this. I love high fantasy, but I don't read a lot of it. I think because it's really hit or miss for me. I haven't read a book about trolls before though. That seems really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's not really a hype attracting book, but those are always the best. This one is definitely a hit, so I hope you read it!

      Delete
  5. Wow, I wasn't interested in this at first either, but the enthusiasm for it I've seen lately has changed my mind. I have to get me a copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, would love to see what you think about it!

      Delete
  6. I don't read a ton of fantasy, but this sounds interesting!
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do read it Jen, I'm sure you'd like it!

      Delete
  7. You made me really want to read the story (especially with how there's no insta love!) and the tag line - for lovers of Graceling really makes me curious as well :)
    Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEY!!! *does a happy dance* I hope you read it Nitzan, and be sure to let me know what you think about it!

      Delete
  8. So glad you enjoyed this one! I've been really curious about it but not quite sure it was for me. You made it sound awesome. Now I really want to read it!

    ReplyDelete