Review ~ The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa
The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa

Publishing date:
April 24th 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
485 pages
To survive in a ruined world, she must embrace the darkness….

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a walled-in city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them—the vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself dies and becomes one of the monsters.

Forced to flee her city, Allie must pass for human as she joins a ragged group of pilgrims seeking a legend—a place that might have a cure for the disease that killed off most of civilization and created the rabids, the bloodthirsty creatures who threaten human and vampire alike. And soon Allie will have to decide what and who is worth dying for…again.

Enter Julie Kagawa's dark and twisted world as an unforgettable journey begins.


It may seem like there is no point in me reviewing The Immortal Rules since there are already so many reviews out there, but I feel like I need to write this just to remind you how amazing this book is, or if you still haven't read it, to remind you that this is the book you don't want to miss!

Right from the start, you get hooked on The Immortal Rules. The fact that I read this book of 485 pages in one sitting, tells you a lot! As soon as you start reading the book, you are introduced to the amazing world Julie Kagawa created. We meet Allie who lives in the Fringe, outer circle of the city, New Covington, ruled by Vampires. Allie is 'unregistered' which means she basically doesn't exist, thus has no right on food. While she scavenges for food during the day, she hides during the night from bloodthirsty creatures whom she despises. When her group is attacked by rabids during food hunt one day, Allie almost dies, but a vampire named Kanin saves her and offers her to turn her into a vampire or just let her die. Allie chooses the first option, and becomes a Vampire. She is forced to leave the city, all alone. After a while she joins a group of people who are looking for Eden, a supposed city that is not ruled by Vampires, but she has to pass as a human.

The beginning of The Immortal Rules is very dynamic. A lot of things happen and also most of the worldbuilding is done in the beginning. After that comes Allies journey and the pacing goes from fast to really slow, and for some people this won't be a good thing. Personally, I didn't mind the change as I saw the importance of it. We see how Allie struggles with who she became, her bloodthirst and the way she has to live her life now. We also get to know her much better and this is the point where I realized how awesome character she is.

One of the people in the group who took Allie in, is Ezekiel, or Zeke - the love interest. He is just the sweetest guy, a genuinely nice person. I don't think it is possible not to like him. The romance wasn't put in the first plan, and that's another thing I really liked. You don't even get to meet Zeke until you're half way through. Julie Kagawa took her time to set things straight, build the world and then she added a bit of romance. Just the way I like it.

There's not much left to say, but know, that you just HAVE TO READ The Immortal Rules. But be warned and prepare yourself, have The Eternity Cure ready for reading, because after the cliffhanger in The Immortal Rules, you will NEED TO start with the second book right away!

5 stars

About Unknown

Hi. I'm Anatea, a 23-year-old Croatian girl, living in Germany. I enjoy reading books, traveling, fashion and photography. Let me show you my world.
    Blogger Comment

12 komentari:

  1. LOL This is great! I have read this one a while ago and I totally agree it's something all should read. Also I cannot wait to see your review for the second book as it's imo the best in series. Great reivew, Anatea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading the second one right now, so you won't have to wait long for my review Tanja! And thanks!

      Delete
  2. Awesome that you loved this one, Anatea! I always considered the whole series of Blood of Eden to be one of the grimmest and darkest Vamp fiction for YA out there. :) Book 1 is actually my favorite of the three (the other two are cool but I thought they were too angsty :P )! Allie's character feel so real, so are her struggles as someone who is fighting for her humanity. Great review! :)

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is pretty dark, but I think that's mostly why I liked it so much.

      Delete
  3. I really liked the first one too. I haven't read the second and then was on Goodreads and there's a HUGE spoiler for book two in the blurb for book three. Ah well... hoping to finish all these this summer!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's a good thing I didn't read the blurb for the third book then, thanks for the warning! I also hope I can finish the series, good luck to you as well Jen!

      Delete
  4. YES! SO glad you loved this one (I did too) I know it's kind of you know, the over-used genre in multiple ways, dystopian, vampires, etc but I just found something that just seemed...unique about it, you know? The Vampires aren't good, but some can control themselves, it's not necessarily a good/vs/bad kind of thing, but learning to incorporate yourself into something different. One of my favourite series, (seriously can't wait for my copy of The Forever Song to get here.) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more with you! I'll be looking out for your review of The Forever Song!

      Delete
  5. This book rocked. I'm glad you loved it too. Forever Song is the next book I'm reading, I hope it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so in love with this series! There's so much action and I actually really love the way the pace goes from fast to slow to fast again within the blink of an eye. It makes it feel realistic to that type of apocalyptic environment. I recently read The Forever Song and OMG! So amazing. This series is just so epic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like EVERYONE loves this series! I'm glad you liked The Forever Song, I can't wait to read it!

      Delete